Skip to main content

Answering your Questions: 1 through 4

Original post on Our first Q & A! click here




Let’s start:

1) How can I invest in the stock market without losing money? Is there a way to guarantee I will not lose it all?

Any time you invest in the stock market you are risking losing money and making money.

When people refer to the stock market they are often referring to NASDAQ, the Dow, and the S&P 500 indices. There is a debate about relying too much on the history of the stock market and where it will go. I personally like to look at the history as a whole to get a picture on how it recovers and changes over time. When it comes to single stocks, mutual funds, bonds, ETFs, and the such I have to tell you to research the current information and health of those businesses and not the history of that specific investment.

The stock market has had over 10 recessions since the 1920s and the United States has had over 40 recessions since the “Panic of 1785” based on various issues around war, revolutions, agriculture, metals, and more, not just stocks. After all this I have a lot of confidence that the US markets are going to have recessions and even depressions in the future, but they are going to turn out of it and keep going up.

You can go to macrotrends.net to look over various historical charts and statistics.

Back to the question about investing in a way to not lose money.
I’ve had some short term loses and even with the Great Recession around 2008 to 2011 I made back the 35% I lost on everything. My recovery on the losses took 3 years. That was the longest I was ever down. With the simple way I invest and explain on this channel myself and all of you should make money. If the stock market goes down, I leave the money in and it has come up gained every bit I lost and went up further every single time. If you have done your research and not narrowed yourself into one or two sectors or individual stocks then just ride the roller coaster that is the stock market.



2) I’m a college student and currently have $35k of college debt. My primary job is working at a department store in the afternoon and a big box store on the weekend. How can I invest when I feel like this looming debt is going to hit me in the head when I graduate? Should I save to pay off the debt or invest now?

I have to commend you for being able to balance two jobs and a college career. I did the same thing years ago. I worked full time and went to school full time and only made $11k to $13k a year for years.

First you should be saving all that money. If you are under 25, then you have plenty of time to invest and compound your interest.

You should be thinking of building an emergency fund that is 6 to 12 months of your living expenses.
Then start researching on building a resume that is specific to the career you plan on having after college.

You should be thinking of what state and city you plan on going to for that first big job. Look into renting, cost of living, and various demographics that are free on the web. You should rent at least a year before you settle down in your new area.

As for your college debt, you may find a better use of your time quitting one of your jobs and filling out scholarships nonstop. If your day is full of work and school you seriously may not have time to do anything. If your weekend job is for something like minimum wage then you may want to quit it, work every other weekend, or get reduced hours. If you do this, then your new job is to fill out and apply for scholarships all the time.

Also, don’t ignore sleeping and some physical activity. Your main focus is graduating college and you need to keep healthy to do so.

Once you graduate and get the big career, then allocate 15% to 25% of everything you make to investing. There are different types and ways of investing, but I’ll save that for another time.



​3) When I get paid all my money goes to bills and if there is anything left over then I feel like I need to reward myself with a little something just for making it to the end of the week. How do I get out of this cycle?

I talk about some of this in my online dating courses (Coming Soon). I am asking you nothing short of becoming a different person. If you don’t want to become someone else then I can’t help.

Let me explain. We are constantly changing throughout our lives and we all have a variety of emotions that need to be recognized, validated, and confronted. You need to find a way to be satisfied and happy with things that don’t cost money. It might be going for a walk, writing, drawing a picture, or day dreaming. You need things like this to help fill your day so then you can cut subscription services or other things that do cost you money. That will give you a small foot hold on your finances.

Once you do that and can create a little bit of space by having an emergency fund, you then automate your investing so you never see or touch the money. If you forget things or have impulse control issues, like me, then you should automate at least a portion of your finances. Go online to your bank’s website and look into what you can do about shifting money the day after you get paid and having the process repeat itself.

There could be a simpler answer to this question and it’s that you’re in the wrong job or career. You may need to change that as well.

I should also mention I have a few different issues such as Obsessive Compulsive Disorder. So, if you have issues in that area, ask me some more questions and I’ll be able to better address that.



4) I’m 17 years old and I know I can’t invest yet, but where do I start?

I first started investing when I was 21. You should double check your state requirements and see if you can start when you are 18 or 21 or some other age. They really do range, so go and check.

First, as a young “pre-investor” I should tell you to “raise your shields” and become skeptical of what anyone tells you online or in person. Most people don’t know half of what they are talking about and if they don’t have a net worth of at least one million or more, you shouldn’t be giving them more than 10 minutes of your time.

There are some books I recommend and you can find them on the Resources page. Now is a good time to promote my Patreon I’m going to point you in those directions.

Please continue coming back to look for updates on the blog and new videos.
I'm putting together additional information on a course I want to teach online. I'll email you when that is released.
​Thank you!

Comments